Site news

Needed: Assistants for year 3 outreach with Scratch

Picture of Cheryl Pope
Needed: Assistants for year 3 outreach with Scratch
by Cheryl Pope - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 9:36 AM

Comp Sci is helping year 3 students at Mark Oliphant College to animate their narrative stories using Scratch ( scratch.mit.edu ).

If you haven't played with it before, Scratch is a drag and drop programming environment which animates characters - very simple and aimed at primary students.

I'm looking for 3-4 students who can help the students turn their storyboarded narratives into an animation on Friday 24 August 11-3. Transport to and from Uni will be provided.

The students will continue working on their stories after we leave - so we're helping them get the main 3 scenes (setting, issue, resolution) done. Then they'll be coming out to Uni in September to show us what they've done.

Let me know if you can help out cheryl@cs.adelaide.edu.au

Thanks,
Cheryl
Woop!
Re: Needed: Assistants for year 3 outreach with Scratch
by Scott Carey - Thursday, 16 August 2012, 7:05 PM

Just wondering,

How many spots are still vacant?

Also, how "good" does this need to be, i have no experience in drawing at all.

Would something as bad as this be enough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWnZKFzXm0

Picture of Cheryl Pope
by Cheryl Pope - Thursday, 16 August 2012, 8:02 PM

Still looking for 3 more assistants. No experience with drawing needed at all. Really it's more about helping the students if they get stuck with how to get their characters to do things, like how to translate - say 'hello' when the duck appears - into a set of scratch instructions.

They've written and storyboarded a narrative story and we'll be helping them, as needed, to animate three of the scenes of their story.

If you've done any programming at all, Scratch takes about 15-20 minutes to learn.

Let me know if you can help out.
Picture of Emma Taylor
by Emma Taylor - Tuesday, 21 August 2012, 11:22 AM

If you are still looking for another assistant I would be interested.