Site news

ACM Programming Contest - Training Sessions Start on August 8 (Next Week)!

Picture of Gustavo Carneiro
ACM Programming Contest - Training Sessions Start on August 8 (Next Week)!
by Gustavo Carneiro - Tuesday, 31 July 2012, 12:31 PM

Like programming? Want to get some practice doing something completely different from your usual programming challenges? The ACM programming contest, held annually and held around the world is coming around again and team formation and training sessions start next week (FIRST SESSION ON AUGUST 8, 2012 AT CATS 7, 12-2pm).

Please check the forum "ACM Programming Contest 2012" to read a short PDF presentation about the contest. If you're interested in the training sessions, please book a place using the links in the forum.

The only restriction is that you've done no more than eight semesters of full time study in total at the start of the contest. In particular, we want to encourage the participation of first and second year students in the training sessions and the contest.

If you have questions, please reply to this post, post a question to the ACM Programming Contest 2012 forum, or email me of Facundo Memoli.

Cheers,
Gustavo.
Des Wagner
Re: ACM Programming Contest - Training Sessions Start on August 8 (Next Week)!
by Des Wagner - Thursday, 2 August 2012, 10:39 AM

Hi Gustavo, what room number is the training session in? Or, where is CATS 7? I'd like to attend the training and then see about entering the competition. Cheers, Des
by Gustavo Carneiro - Thursday, 2 August 2012, 2:41 PM

The CAT suite #7 is located on the level 2 of Ingkarni Wardli Building (previously known as Innova21) - room 2.35.
Picture of Mark Prodoehl
by Mark Prodoehl - Thursday, 2 August 2012, 10:04 PM

Hi Gustavo,

I have a lecture on Wednesdays from 12-1, is it possible to come to the training sessions for the second half (1-2) only?

Cheers,

Mark
Picture of Bui Khanh Hoang
by Bui Khanh Hoang - Thursday, 2 August 2012, 10:25 PM

Hi, Gostavo.
Are the training sessions free to join?
Picture of Bradley Alexander
by Bradley Alexander - Friday, 3 August 2012, 7:52 AM

Hi Bui,

I can answer this. Yes, for currently enrolled students taking computer science courses this year.

Cheers,

Brad
Picture of Bui Khanh Hoang
by Bui Khanh Hoang - Friday, 3 August 2012, 12:38 PM

Thank you very much ^^!
by Gustavo Carneiro - Thursday, 2 August 2012, 10:50 PM

Yes, you can come for the second half.
Picture of Alexander Waters
by Alexander Waters - Friday, 3 August 2012, 11:03 AM

The PDF files states that we have to "Know C/C++/Java well enough to implement programs quickly."

Are they the only programming languages that are used in the ACM Programming Contest?
Picture of Bradley Alexander
by Bradley Alexander - Friday, 3 August 2012, 11:47 AM

Locally yes.. they are the only ones. I think there may be others in the world final. It would be nice to have other languages (e.g. python) in there but they're not available not yet as far as I can tell.

Also note that a few of the contest questions are framed so that you have to write really fast solutions or they run out of time. Java, C and C++ are all ok in this regard but anything that runs much slower will put contestants at a disadvantage.

Cheers,

Brad